Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Leaving a Legacy

It is hard to measure the impact of a trip such as this. While it’s easy to note the completed tasks like how many student physicals were given, the number of foundation holes dug out, and the construction of a kitchen in the rear of the men’s dormitory, the real impact is the relationships that will continue.


As I headed to the men’s dormitory to help with the kitchen this afternoon, I was stopped by a student who was going the other direction. “Thank-you Sir,” he said. I first responded nonchalantly, “You’re welcome,” and started to pass him by, but he persisted, thanking me again. “You are part of the mission team?” he asked, in a way to keep the conversation going. I replied, “Yes, I am.” He then smiled and proclaimed, “Chapelwood! your church has made it possible for me to be here, I’m getting a scholarship.”


As it turns out Zaldy Aganan has quite a story. At age 51, he is the father of 10 children, four of whom are already grown and are married living in Manila with four children of their own, so Zaldy is a “Lolo”, a grandfather. He is from the northern island Luzon in the Bicol region which he describes as very poor and remote, so traveling to the Southern Philippines Methodist Colleges is difficult. “I come from a place that is very far from here. It is a two day travel by land.”


Zaldy has been serving as a local pastor in Bicol for the past couple of years, and the District Superintendent encouraged him to go to a theological school to continue his education. Even though he is much older than the other students, Zaldy believes the time spent here is well worth it. “At age 51 maybe I will be waiting until age 55 [to graduate], but for me serving the Lord, there’s no retirement.”


And his family is encouraging him too. “I think this will give more bonding to the family because that’s what my children are always saying to me, ‘Papa you continue to study!’”


Chapelwood supports a number of students by donating $6,000 to the college. The amount each student receives depends on need and their course of study. Bob Lasalle, who visited the school when the first Chapelwood mission team was here two years ago, is sponsoring another student sparking an interest from Kathie Luther. She and team leader, husband Dave, have decided to underwrite a scholarship for a young woman who is going into teaching, Kathie’s profession. The student’s story is compelling as she lost her mother to cancer at an early age, and her father, who was a poor farmer, died a few years ago. Still, the young woman has great faith writing in a letter she submitted for a leadership scholarship. “When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, ‘I used everything you gave me.’” If you or a prayer group would like to sponsor a scholarship, which cost $400 to $450, contact missionary Janet McCarty at the school. The email address is jmccarty50@yahoo.com.


Carleton Cole


1 comment:

  1. Please tell BJ and Warren that we miss them and that we love the pictures of them working! :-) They are wonderful friends and we are so blessed to have them in our lives. Looking forward to their return! Love Chris and Pam

    ReplyDelete